Friday, February 04, 2005

Engine and Transmission pull

Pulled the engine and tranny last night. It was fairly straightforward to do with the body off the car. Did the following in order:

1) Removed the 2 brackets at the u-joint connecting the drive shaft to the tranny
2) Removed the 2 tranny mount bolts under the body that is just below the u-joint just disconnected
3) Removed the exhaust pipe connecting nuts to free up the manifold connections
4) Removed the power steering pump bolts at the block and set the unit to the side. I did not remove the unit at this point.
5) Disconnected the fuel lines from the fuel pump at the frame connections where it changes from steel lines to flexible rubber hose lines.
6) Remove the ground strap connection near the fuel pump that goes from the engine block to the frame near the upper A-arm of the right wheel.


Rear tranny mount plate where the 2 bolts attach underneath this plate Posted by Hello


Front end after engine removal. Brake proportioning valve on left with brake lines. Fuel lines and ground connector on right near engine mount Posted by Hello

At this point I went ahead and built up my engine stand to get ready for mounting the engine to the stand once it's removed. Only took about a 1/2 hour to do that. Next, wheeled the shop crane under the front of the car. The jack stand placement was just far enough back to allow me to get in enough with the crane. The cranes front legs were touching the stand bases. That was close without needing to reposition them!

I connected up the straps to the 2 brackets that are diagonal across the engine, one just to the lower right of the distributor and the other at the front left of the engine. I'm using 2 sets of nylon straps rated at 800 lb each. Should be ok. Jacked up the crane a little to get it off the mounts and make sure nothing was missed. Then went ahead and jacked it up about 6 inches. The whole thing is heavy in the back because the tranny is still attached. The u-joint needed a little coaxing with a hammer to disengage it from the tranny half of the joint still attached.

Went ahead and jacked up the engine and tranny to clear the front of the frame to set it aside for the night. I'll have to take the tranny off the motor this weekend and then mount the motor to the engine stand.

I've got to do something about space in the garage. It's getting tight between the boxes of parts and both sides being consumed with a disassembled Corvette!

My goals for this coming weekend are:

* Get the gas tank off (that's easy enough)
* Tear down the rear suspension
* Tear down the front suspension
* Remove the old brake and fuel lines on the frame.

If I can get all this done, then I'll be in good shape to clean and sand blast the frame sometime next week. The weather here has been horrible for about 10 days straight. If it breaks next week I'll have to take a day off to clean and blast it. There are 4 body mounts that are rotted that need to be replaced. I'm trying to decide if I'll learn to weld and put on the new mount brackets to the frame myself or pay someone to do it for me. I may do some practice on some spare steel and then decide what to do.

I've got a trip out of the country coming in a couple of weeks and I'd like to be able to have the engine and tranny off for rebuild while I'm gone to minimize down time. We'll see. It's going to be a busy couple of weeks coming! If I can get all this done before leaving then I'll be on track to get this project done by my target of June....this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home