Monday, February 14, 2005

Motor/Tranny separated

I just couldn't take it anymore. I laid around the whole weekend like vegetables on a grocery display. This Flu is BAD stuff! So, I hadn't done anything with the motor/tranny since pulling it from the frame a couple of weeks ago. Got out there and after it and separated the two.

To do so, remove the bolts along the top of the bell housing at the back of the block. Also have to remove the 4 bolts attaching the torque convertor cover to the tranny at the bottom. Also have to remove the detent cable from the tranny to the carb. The only way I could see to do this was to remove the bracket on the block. Maybe there's an easier way but it wasn't obvious if there was.

Next, since the tranny is what's holding the back side of the motor down, put some wood blocks under the front fly wheel to keep it level as you slide off the tranny from the torque convertor. Also, you could do this the hard way like I did, but there's a ton of tranny fluid in the torque convertor. Be ready with a bucket to catch it all or you'll be cleaning up a mess on your floor! I know THAT from experience now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home