Monday, April 25, 2005

Masterbilt motor exchange

Spent some time this past weekend doing some compression ratio (CR) calculations based on the heads, gasket, etc. and flat top pistons are going to be a stretch with 93 octane pump gas. The calculation I come in with a 0.030 bore is about 9.6 which is near the top end before detonation with 93 octane. So, off to the engine builder with that info in hand.

Their opinion with the chamber volume of the heads, the over bore, etc was pretty much as I had expected....it's close with flat top pistons and no detonation issues. He also had a motor built up with dished pistons and that's what I finally went with, a 10cc dish to drop the CR just enough to give me some wiggle room. This will sacrifice a little power but I can always make up for it with a little thinner gasket in the future. A Fel-Pro 0.015" steel shim gasket would take me back to about 9.4 CR vs the 9.1 CR I calculate now.

So, $400 and I have an instant re-man engine with a warranty. Can't beat that considering the cost of machining and parts would be that if not a little more for me to do it myself to the original block.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home