Thursday, March 17, 2005

Shock mount removal from strut and bearing assembly problems

The t-arm bolt removal was fun. If that was fun then I'm rolling on the floor laughing with this one. The crazy shock mount that goes through the bearing assembly and the strut is rust fused to everything.....the strut, the bearing assembly, the whole enchilada.

So, I whipped out the Sawz-all and cut off the castellated nut flush with the outside of the bearing assembly. I then hammered the fool out of the end with the nut on it and made all of about 1/16" of progress in getting it out. Next, I cut the bolt on the inside edge between the strut and the right hand side in the picture below. I then banged some more, no progress. So, I went to try and cut the left hand side and discovered something I need to figure out. On the left and inside edge between the bearing arm and the strut, is that the bearing assembly steel or is that the shock bracket? Gotta find out before I cut that out.


Shock arm and strut in trailing arm - rust welded


Left trailing arm cavity. Slight rust rot on right hand inside edge


Right hand trailing arm and cavity. Same rust rot on inside edge of cavity


Side view of LH trailing arm. Wife making fun of my work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home