Thursday, April 28, 2005

Motor parts - cam decision

Real action on the motor! Got the heads from Summit on Tuesday. I didn't order the cam immediately because I wanted to pick up the motor and do some calculations on CR and then I also had to make a decision about my torque convertor. The stall speed of the torque convertor is a factor since the more muscular the motor the more the lower stall of the stock convertor can ruin the whole thing. So, I found that Jegs has a nice re-build torque convertor that ups the stall to 2200-2400 rpm and the price is right, $89!

Next, decision time on the cam. I spoke at length with Bob from Comp Cams about what I wanted out of my motor and after bouncing between the XE262 and XE268 I decided to go with the XE268 for the extra lift that it bring which helps on the top end of the rpm band. The 262 would have added about 5ft/lb more toruqe at the low end but I wanted the extra lift for the future top end without having to change the cam. One of the guys from Corvette Forum was kind enough to run Desktop Dyno on my setup and this is what he came up with:

xe268 w/headers
344HP@5000RPM 406TQ@3500RPM

xe268 w/manifolds
309HP@5000RPM 383TQ@3500RPM

xe262 w/headers
323HP@4500&5000RPM 410TQ@3500RPM

xe262 w/manifolds
293HP@4500RPM 386TQ@3500RPM

I'm running with headers as well. So the top simulation is what I should be expecting. Not bad for a $1700 motor! I especially like the torque numbers since that will really make it move snappily under normal road driving.

Summit again had the best deal on the Comp Cams kit with cam and lifters. Ordered and should be in on Friday. Also ordered from Flowtech ceramic coated headers while I was at it and the oil pan gasket and timing cover gaskets. As an aside, I found an auction on Ebay for a complete chrome dress up kit including the air cleaner, timing cover, valve covers, dip stick, wing bolts, timing mark and a few other little things. The bid started off at $27 and I'm currently in at $34. So here's hoping I win! It's a good price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home