Saturday, June 25, 2005

2nd run on the new motor, not so good

The first run last night was ok, rough below 2000 rpm but decent at 2500. I ran it for about 5-6 minutes before the rad started boiling over and I had to cut it off.

Wheeled the car out into the drive way this time. I turned the key and it tried to start up and burped atomized gas straight up out of the carb. I pumped the peddle a few times while turning it over again and it starts to come to life but running VERY rough. I'm talking really rough. I give it some more gas and pull it up to about 2000 rpm and notice that it's taking me tweaking the peddle to keep it going or it starts to fall back on rpm as if it's going to stall out on me. I get her up to about 2500 rpm and it's not running smooth like it was last night. Granted it rained this afternoon and the humdity is WAY up there.

This time I had my father-in-law over to watch the motor and stuff. About a minute into the run I notice my butt is getting real hot and he comes over and yells that I'm shooting 12 inch flames out the headers. Well, that explains why my butt's hot. I go ahead and shut it down and look under the body. Nothing on fire fortunately. Good thing I put down the Thermotec insulation under the body! My drivers side header is glowing hot where the 4 tubes meet into the collector on down. Now it is just about dark out side and so it's easy to see it's glowing. The passengers side header is not glowing but he tells me that I had flames coming out both sides while it was running.

We wheel it back into the garage after the headers cool down some. BTW, these are ceramic coated headers. I'm thinking it's timing so I pull the drivers side valve cover and turn the crank by hand. The valves are rocking ok, at least on #1. The exhaust cycle goes by and then the intake cycle and then I'm right at 0 deg. I pull the distributor cap and then back the crank up to 8 deg BTDC. The 8 deg came from Vizards rebuild book. I check the mark on the base of the distributor and the rotor and it looks ok with the initial edge of the contact in line with the mark.

So, what gives? Why am I getting the flames and the roughness? It would seem that my initial timing is ok, at least good enough to get me going. Is it my Q-jet running too rich? I didn't do anything to the Q-jet but pull it from the original motor which had EGR (this motor does not). And how does the flames shooting out my headers play into this whole thing? I am truly stuck trying to figure this one out and would appreciate some help on where to begin to get this worked out.

It just hit me that I hadn't hooked up the vaccuum line to the bumper tank to the headlights. Could that be it? This detail just hit me too, I have the vaccuum hooked up to the distributor as well. Also, this is the original distributor from my old motor. Both the carb and dist were ok before the pull. The old motor was idling a little high in the 1800-2000 rpm area but not rough and crappy like this motor's doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home