Saturday, May 21, 2005

Fiberglass repair, underbody prep

In order to get the body back on the frame means that I must take care of the underbody and engine compartment. I already knew from the removal that the two rear body mounts were rust rotter and needed replacing. I also have a crack in the left rear quarter panel because the support member underneath had seprated allowing the q-panel to float and in the process of removing the body it got cracked. THis is what the support member looks like in place on the right side:


Right rear quarter panel support in place. This is what it looks like when done. Posted by Hello

Because the member was 90% loose on the q-panel side and completely free on the body mount side, I cut the bonding material at the lower part and then used a screw driver to pry and break off the member. It came away without any trouble. I then cut off the rivets holding the old, rotted body mount. This then exposed that the fiber glass under it was cracked. I cut that out and will fill that in with new glass when it comes time. Here's the pics:


Left rear quarter panel support removed. Posted by Hello


Left rear quarter panel support member removed. Posted by Hello

The right rear body mount that is rust rotter:


Right rear body mount is rust rotted and needs replacement Posted by Hello

Wouldn't you know it, I haven't had any problems with my back in about 4 months. I was helping move some matresses in the morning and tweaked my back. Looks like I'm done for the weekend as it's reminding me I'm not so young any more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home