Thursday, June 16, 2005

Body back on!

Another biiigggg milestone today. I got the body back on the frame. It was a work of art in progress too. You know some days, you must be living right to have things go so well. Today was one of those days for me....rare thing too!

We'd set the body in place under the hoist frame on Tuesday. I started by lifting the body up with the hoist about 2 feet so I could get under it and put the Thermotec insulation in trany tunnel. I bought some short metal screws with the eye type washers to hold the insulation matting in place. Once I got that done, I realized I had forgotten to remove the old body mount from the channels. That took some "convincing" of the old rubber to get out. But out they came and then popped in the new mounts.

Then the moment of truth. Not only does the body need to line up with the frame but also I'm crossing my fingers that the 5 body mounts I welded on to replace the rust rotted ones were dead on in the right spot or this could be a short launch! Lifted the body up to max and then wheeled the frame out. Started dropping the body and moved the frame forward about 6 inches to get it roughly in line with the rear mounts. Drop the body to within 4 inches of the mounts. Unbelievable, all my mounts on the frame line up perfectly. No side to side adjustment of the frame, no more back and forth, and all the new mounts are exactly where they should be. This is just too good!

We drop the body another 4 inches to get the rear most mounts going, and the bolt right in. Drop it another 3-4 inches to get the #3 mounts on each side and they bolt right in! Finish dropping it the rest of the way and the front end lines up perfectly with the #1 mounts on both sides. Seriously, I couldn't have planned this to go this well! Tear everything down, wheel her back into the garage. Done in 2 hours. Completely unbelievable. Had to right it down or I might not believe it myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home