Sunday, July 24, 2005

Bad news - wiped lobe on cam

The motor has been giving me fits in trying to tune it and get a decent idle. I decided to pull the Q-jet and rebuild it this weekend. I completed that last night without much trouble. It's a lot of work but not a big deal really. Take it slow and easy and take lots of pictures to go back and reference.

Anyway, while I had the carb off I decided to check out a few things. There was a little oil in the bottom of the runners in the intake manifold. Not a huge amount but enough to indicate that I had a leaking gasket that would need help someday. I pulled the valve covers and started checking the valve lift. It is possible that lash was not right or a lobe wiped. I turned the engine by hand and checked the valve lift on each one. Everything was looking good but when I got to the last one, #8 exhaust, it was showing a lift of only 0.200". That's less than half of spec. I pulled the lifter and the lifter is badly scored on the bottom and when I look down and put a flash light on the lobe it's clear to see that it's severely rounded.

Blast all! Now I have to tear the motor down and replace the cam. This was a Comp Cams XE268H and there have been reports on CorvetteForum of many wiped lobes on XE262, 268, and 272 cams. I'm going with Lunati for the next one. I just have lost all confidence in Comp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home